More On the Side of Yeah Than But; Thing 13

One of the striking statements for me when I listened to Darren Kuropatwa the Author of the article “What If the Story Changed?” was when he said, “How many classrooms today provide students with a time trip back to the 20th century”.

His aim is definitely to encourage educators to think differently or even through a “different lense”.  What I was impressed with was the fact that Darren took the time to consider people who possess their perspective based on a very wide foundation that has been built upon, restructured and renovated but never torn down. Thus he asks the question “What do we want learning to look like?”

I have always said that we have classrooms structured for a 1980 society that doesn’t exist anymore. I agree with the idea of changing the scope of the actual learning environment, creating a competative voice as well as putting words to imagery.

When ever a group of people is asked to change their perspective, the group has to be williong to start a new foundation that is going to encounter a possible difficult transition. However, the beginning must come into being. That is where I agree with “What If?” It is also why I am Leaning more to the side of “Yeah”.

But yes, I do have a “But”. I want to start by asking a series of questions. Do we value or need grammar anymore? Do we need Paper for that matter? Text Books? Dictionary skills? My point is that if we are being asked to change our perspective on what we want learning to like like, are we actually catering to the glaring fundamental and universal weaknessess that this generation has?

Do not misunderstand what I am saying. What I mean is, if we are moving towards a totally technological world, than can portions of WHAT we have learned now be thrown away? Time spent on certain foundational skills has already diminished in classrooms.

Part of my but is also directed towards the level of independance and freedom that k12 seems to offer in the new learning environments, working from home and visual learning. Are teenagers mature enough to handle the level of responsability that comes with this new technological flexability and creativity?

I still work in a district where PC’s still arent in every household. Some student’s don’t even live in households at all. Does this perspective suit their immediate needs that are necessary to get them to such a future?

My enthusiam exists in what I heard, but my questions house my Buts. I find the idea of a differently structured learning environment useful and probably more productive ($ put it on my christmas list). I could definitely see myself using the concept of putting words to imagery. An alternative in expression and creativity is sorely needed. So instaed of saying “Yeah, but”, I’m now at “But, yeah”.